I had a "Giant Cavernous Aneurysm" behind my left eye. I went to Dallas for surgery and it was killed...however post op my eye is unresponsive. It is if I am looking out of a steamy shower door. Some days it is better than others. Please pray that my sight will be restored. God has been putting words on my heart that I feel I must put on paper. The following thoughts are those I feel that the Lord is speaking to me lately. Enjoy.

May 12, 2005

America’s Family Doctor

I have the opportunity to work with the most passionate man I have ever met. I have simply never seen enthusiasm like this before. Each day I travel to Focus on the Family, arriving to work just down the hall from Dr. James Dobson. It’s not like we share a cubicle, but we aren’t far from one another. His office is the large one in the corner with its’ own bathroom, library, elevator and panoramic views of Pike’s Peak. Mine is the 8 x 8 cubicle, with a bathroom down the hall about a ¼ of a mile with a view of a window that I can vaguely see from my cube…but I digress.

In the short time I have been at Focus, I have come to see firsthand the drive and passion behind this 69 year old man of God. His hours are grueling, and his work is never finished. Most days he arrives first and leaves last. His commitment to the preservation of the family is amazing. There has never been a bigger advocate of the God-ordained institution of marriage like “doc.”

For nearly 30 years, Dr. Dobson has been in the forefront on issues like the sanctity of life, protecting the family and keeping God in America. His 27 best-sellers have touched millions. His career that spans 3 decades is extraordinary.

As impressive as his resume is, I was struck by his comments the other day. I had the opportunity to sit down with him for several hours and hear his heart. He said that God had truly blessed the ministry and He has done miraculous things. But, with every thing in his being, he believes that he was born for this point forward. Are you kidding me? At 69 years old, he feels like he is just getting started.

At the top of his list is “judicial tyranny.” Judges are ruling on things that were never provided for in the Constitution…things that typically affect the sanctity of human life, protection of marriage and government involvement in schools. This is his passion. You probably see him regularly on all of the talking head shows. This is his arena, and he is at home here.

The amazing thing about Doc is that even those who don’t agree with him still respect him. That is not necessarily true of the Pat Robertson’s and the Jerry Falwell’s. This is why so many shows love to have him on. He is truly esteemed by both sides.

Tomorrow I have another couple of hours with him. I thank God for what Dr. James Dobson is doing and the passion in which he does it.

Every time I’m with him, I learn more about leadership from him…things like humility, servant hood, fairness, Christ-likeness, and certainly passion. I thank God for the opportunity to grace the doors of Focus, and work with such an incredible man.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And just to think you are product of those books he wrote so many years ago! (i.e. Dare to discipline) You know he invented the spock grip I think. Too bad for Danny!

11:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Site Counter