I had a "Giant Cavernous Aneurysm" behind my left eye. I went to Dallas for surgery and it was killed...however post op my eye is unresponsive. It is if I am looking out of a steamy shower door. Some days it is better than others. Please pray that my sight will be restored. God has been putting words on my heart that I feel I must put on paper. The following thoughts are those I feel that the Lord is speaking to me lately. Enjoy.

August 14, 2005

Living In The Larger Story

Elisha fully understood what it meant to be a part of the larger story. As the scene opens, his servant was clearly part of the smaller story, until the Lord opened his eyes.

Do you remember? An overwhelming army had moved in during the night surrounding Elisha and the boys. They were severely outnumbered…for those who were nearsighted. Elisha had been blessed to see the larger story and prayed that his servant’s eyes would be opened to see what he was seeing. The servant’s eyes were opened, revealing the army of the Lord riding chariots of fire waiting in the mountains, far outweighing his previous fear.

With one request from Elisha, God blinded every member of the Syrian army. Do you think there was a run on seeing-eye dogs in Syria? This could be described as an “open and shut” case for Elisha.

Welcome to the larger story, servant of Elisha.

Elisha’s servant was caught up in his own personal story, unable to see the bigger picture of God. Elisha was not. He got it and was able to see the glory revealed by the Father.

For those who follow Christ…you are part of a bigger picture, a larger story. You no longer live in a world of small things with limited scope. When you accepted Christ as your personal Savior, you were cured of nearsightedness and given a vision that can only be diagnosed as “supernatural.”

When those around you hear the words “cancer” or “downsize” or “there’s nothing more we can do,” just as Elisha’s servant, panic ensues. Unbelievers simply do not have the hope and promise that those who follow Christ have. Be an Elisha. See beyond your current circumstance to envision how the Lord is going to rescue you from the situation. Pray for the vision that your Father has for you. Pray for the gift of the larger story.

I am certainly not implying that followers of Christ never suffer from panic or nearsightedness.

Moses did. When he was called to lead the Israelites to the Promised Land, he pleaded, he gave excuses, he wanted to weasel out. But ultimately the Lord convinced him, and he gained his vision and accomplished the task. He understood that he was part of the larger story.

Jonah did. The Lord got his attention. A few days inside the stinky guts of a whale, and his eyes were opened. He too came to understand that he was a part of the larger story.

Jacob did. He wrestled with The Great Wrestler and the Lord got his attention until he once again became focused on the supernatural…albeit with a limp. And, yes, he found his place the larger story.

Most likely when faced with challenges, the humanness in you will excuse, will run, or will wrestle. Your Father will bless you with vision.

You were designed to be a part of the larger story. For those who do not believe in God, it is impossible to be a part of the larger story because it is He, our Creator who created it.

Protect yourself from being one of the Christians who live in their own personal world, refusing to acknowledge the awesome power of our Father. But instead, hold fast to the promises of God, and step up in faith into the realm and glory of the larger story.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my opinion, your blog is great
I'm sure you'd be interested in cartoon animals
Information you need to know about cartoon animals

9:32 PM

 
Blogger Beth P said...

Bart,
I have just discovered all of these anonymous comments, and they are advertisers. Other bloggers have had to block or stop receiving anonymous comments and encourage the responders to choose an identity.
On another note, I am still being blessed by your thoughts.
Blessings on your family today!
Beth

8:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am being blessed by your thoughts. I am not an anonymous advertiser, just a sinner saved by grace and looking for ways to know my Savior better. I read Max Lucado's Oak Hills daily devotionals; then I read your blog. God is so good to give the gift of teaching through writing to some of His children like you. Thank you for using your gift.

9:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you a Democrat, Republican or Southern Republican?

Here is a little test that will help you decide.

Question: How do you tell the difference between
Democrats, Republicans And Southern Republicans?

The answer can be found by posing the following
question:

You're walking down a deserted street with your wife
and two small children. Suddenly, an Islamic Terrorist
with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes
with you, screams obscenities, praises Allah, raises
the knife, and charges at you. You are
carrying a Glock cal .40, and you are an expert shot.
You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your
family.

What do you do?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Democrat's Answer:

Well, that's not enough information to answer the
question!

Does the man look poor! Or oppressed?

Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire
him to attack?

Could we run away?

What does my wife think?

What about the kids?

Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock
the knife out of his hand?

What does the law say about this situation?

Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it?

Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind
of message does this send to society and to my
children?

Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me?

Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be
content just to wound me?

If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my
family get away while he was stabbing me?

Should I call 9-1-1?

Why is this street so deserted?

We need to raise taxes, have a paint and weed day
and make this happier, healthier street that would
discourage such behavior.

This is all so confusing! I need to debate this with
some friends for few days and try to come to a
consensus.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Republican's Answer:

BANG!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Southern Republican's Answer:

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
BANG! click.....(sounds of reloading).

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
BANG! click

Daughter: "Nice grouping, Daddy! Were those the
Winchester Silver Tips or Hollow Points?"

4:55 PM

 
Blogger Kelly Vaughn said...

Hey Bart,
I am glad to find your blog. It is exciting to see all of the awesome things that God is doing in your life. I love seeing the pictures of Suzi and your precious boys...and you too! Blessings in abundance be yours!

Kelly (Jeffrey) Vaughn

3:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Site Counter