I had a "Giant Cavernous Aneurysm" behind my left eye. I went to Dallas for surgery and it was killed...however post op my eye is unresponsive. It is if I am looking out of a steamy shower door. Some days it is better than others. Please pray that my sight will be restored. God has been putting words on my heart that I feel I must put on paper. The following thoughts are those I feel that the Lord is speaking to me lately. Enjoy.

August 11, 2005

Be Still, My Bleating Heart

The instructions could not have been simpler. The Lord specifically told King Saul to destroy the Amalekites. Everything…nothing should be left. No men, women, children, animals, belongings…nothing. He did. Kind of, but not exactly. King Saul kept the best livestock and sheep for himself. Whoops.

God gave Samuel a “heads up” as to what King Saul had done, or not done. Samuel decides to confront the king.

“King Saul, why did you lie? Why did you disobey what the Lord had commanded?”

Saul replies nervously, “I, I don’t know what you’re talking about. I destroyed everything.”

BAAAAHHHH! A sheep sounds in the background. Saul was busted. He quickly tells Samuel that the animals were for a sacrifice for the Lord.

I love how Samuel responds. “Behold, to obey is better than to sacrifice.”

From that day on the Lord despised that He had ever appointed Saul as king.

I wonder if Samuel were to pass by our lives today, do you think he would hear the bleating of sheep in some dark corner of our lives. I mean, by all accounts, we live a Godly life. We go to church, we give a little money, we treat people with respect, and for the most part we would be described as followers of Christ.

When approached by Samuel, we respond, “Life couldn’t be better. I’m doing exactly what the Lord has told me to do.” BAAAAHHHH! Samuel looks over our shoulder to see our black sheep standing in the dark corner of our hearts. “I mean, my life is better than most, but I haven’t quite taken care of that…yet.”

What is it? Is it anger, control, dishonesty, or lack of integrity? Is it the internet, your taxes, your expense reports or your lack of a God-honoring relationship with your spouse? Listen closely. Because none of us are perfect and we live in a fallen world, we all have the ability to hear the calls…if we have ears to hear. Which area of your life can you hear the bleating of the sheep?

Pray that you would be able to examine your heart with the eyes of the Lord, not the eyes of man. Pray that He would reveal to you what areas of your life are bleating. Our lives are to be a living sacrifice to the Lord. Release whatever areas of your life are continuing to stand in between you and your Maker. Nothing is gained from bleating to death.

Removing the black sheep from the corners of your heart will provide an incredible intimacy with the Lord…an intimacy that you are unable to feel with your current roadblocks. Honor the Lord, and you will be honored in return.

I pray that you hear BAAAAHHHH’s no more.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beth P said...

Bart,
Your blog has become my mini devotional reading for the day. You are really gifted in that area. How are you doing physically? It's apparent how you are doing spiritually, but I haven't read any updates on how you are feeling...anymore headaches or side effects? Is the eyesight any better? Are things status quo?
Thanks for sharing with so many!
Blessings to you!

9:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Site Counter