I had a "Giant Cavernous Aneurysm" behind my left eye. I went to Dallas for surgery and it was killed...however post op my eye is unresponsive. It is if I am looking out of a steamy shower door. Some days it is better than others. Please pray that my sight will be restored. God has been putting words on my heart that I feel I must put on paper. The following thoughts are those I feel that the Lord is speaking to me lately. Enjoy.

May 16, 2005

Seeing God With “20/20” Vision

It’s not everyday you get the opportunity to have a conversation with Barbara Walters’ producer. The fact that it was about beginning a relationship with her Savior made it even more extraordinary. Today I did, and I feel like it was a gift from God.

Ted Haggard from New Life Church is my pastor. He’s fairly high profile because of his appointment as president of the National Association of Evangelicals or the NAE. He regularly meets with President Bush and other world leaders, including just last Friday, he flew in from Israel for a one on one conversation with Benjamin Netenyahu, Minister of Finance for Israel. These discussions were very important regarding Israel's understanding and relationship with evangelicals worldwide, and the NAE’s relationship with Jewish people and Israel.

Many people seek interviews for his opinions including this week alone; Tom Brokaw, Bill O’Reilly, Dateline NBC and Barbara Walters. Barbara’s producer and her camera crew were at New Life Church this morning following up on the interview filmed in New York on Friday.

Because I go to church with 10,000 of my closest friends, it’s imperative to find a meeting place after picking up our kids from children’s church. We chose to meet at “The Exalter” (an angel that is over 9 feet tall made of bronze with brawny arms and hands raised in praise with his eyes closed, head back, long hair flowing, and sword visible from his sheath behind his back.) If you ever see it, you will find tears forming in your eyes, thinking of the power of the angels fighting on our behalf. I prefer this mental image to the little cherubs with tiny wings fluttering. They don’t seem very powerful to fight on my behalf…I digress.

As I was standing there, the camera crew for Barbara Walters was filming “The Exalter.” I was standing next to the producer from the show. She looked over at me and I noticed a look in her eyes that was telling…almost as if she couldn’t help but talk about what was on her heart.

She introduced herself as the producer for the show. We exchanged courtesies and small talk for about 15 seconds before she shared her heart. “Your church is absolutely amazing,” she said with a cautious enthusiasm. I immediately sensed in the Spirit that she was not a Christian. I asked if she went to church back in New York. A simple headshake ‘no.’ I asked her why not. Her answer came as if sitting in a confession booth, confessing to a priest.

“I am Jewish…I guess. My father was a devout Catholic growing up. I didn’t grow up knowing much about church or God. After doing this story and in particular, after attending service today, I’m starting to question what I believe or don’t believe,” she admitted. My heart jumped when I heard this innocence and searching. I said a micro prayer for the words to say.

“What I hear you saying is that you were raised and still live with religion and religious symbols. You were raised with a good idea of religion, but you don’t know yet about the concept of a relationship with your God or His son Jesus?” Tears began to form in her eyes. She said that was exactly how she was feeling. We then had several more minutes of conversation, ending with this.

I told her, “Your heart is feeling the way it feels because you have discovered the key that unlocks your heart…your soul. The key’s name is Jesus. The Key is the bridge between religion and relationship. That relationship with Jesus is what will change your life.” I wish I knew how to put into words what her eyes were telling me. It is if a light went off and she had discovered the secret keys to her heart. It was absolutely amazing. The camera crew had since walked off and had yelled her name about 5 times. She was oblivious to their calling.

I have never seen so many questions in someone’s eyes in my life. I told her I would be praying for her. I will. If you are led would you do the same? She has the ears of powerful people. Her life’s story could change many lives.

I thank God for those moments to share His goodness. I pray for more.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for"the producer of the show" is an honor. May she yearn to know more. May her hunger and thirst be filled by someone even greater than"the exalter", the one we all exalt. Jesus Christ himself. Keep sharing, Angie

12:09 PM

 
Blogger Joel said...

Bart,

Don't you love the Gospel? You didn't give her Bible. You didn't share your religion. Absent from the conversation was doctrine and a pious discourse on sin. Like a junior paper boy, you just chucked the "good news" paper right on the porch of her soul.

The Gospel. The news that paradise lost can be restored. The bold, life giving/life crushing news that our Redeemer lives! It has the power to save us!

"God, may the Gospel wreck the life of the lady that was oblivious to her true calling. May she allow you to be the producer of her life!"

I love you Bart.
Please call me when you go to Dallas next. I want to fly/drive in and pray over you.

Joel
325.864.1879

9:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Site Counter