I had a "Giant Cavernous Aneurysm" behind my left eye. I went to Dallas for surgery and it was killed...however post op my eye is unresponsive. It is if I am looking out of a steamy shower door. Some days it is better than others. Please pray that my sight will be restored. God has been putting words on my heart that I feel I must put on paper. The following thoughts are those I feel that the Lord is speaking to me lately. Enjoy.

May 25, 2005

Pass The Salt, Please

Thank God that He did not call us to be pepper and darkness to the world. He instead calls us to be “salt and light” to humankind. I love this metaphoric language because Jesus uses words that we can understand.

Taken individually, these words are intriguing.

What is the purpose of salt? Salt is used as an enhancer. When used in moderation, salt adds flavor and makes that upon which it is sprinkled more appetizing.

Too little salt doesn’t improve the flavor, it just enhances the blandness. Since we are called to be ‘salt’ to those who don’t follow Christ, I think this is a fitting metaphor. If those who follow Christ use themselves sparingly for the Kingdom, little is enhanced. The ‘salt’ is ineffective in its use.

Too much salt on the other hand, is unhealthy, unpalatable, can cause disease and defeats its purpose. The most ineffective way to reach those who don’t believe in Christ is to pour on your salt so heavy that you become fruitless. I have spent time with those who exude salt from every pore, and it nauseated me …and I’m a believer. I can visualize an unbeliever resembling Scooby Doo running in place attempting to escape as fast as he can.

When perfectly seasoned, we achieve God’s purpose for which we have been called.

Light. The very mention of the word is soothing. Its opposite is darkness. I again call to your attention the email “Anonymous” sent to me;

Friend, the universe is a cold, nasty chaos. God neither gives nor takes away. What you are going through is random and cruel. The strength you are finding to bear it is YOURS. YOU are your own power. I'd like to see you give yourself some credit. Good luck.

You’ve just read the definition of darkness.

If the light that shines from within you is too dim, it is worthless. Imagine being the captain of a ship on a dark and stormy night at sea. Up ahead you see a lighthouse leading you to safety. If the light coming from within the lighthouse is too dim, it is of no use. The ship you are trying to save just crashed into the rocky shoreline.

Now imagine that the lighthouse has the correct light, but is being used improperly. This too could lead to disaster. Instead of the light circling, giving you proper coordinates, the lighthouse keeper directs the bright light straight at the ship. You would be blinded and unable to navigate your ship away from the shoreline, again resulting in an unfortunate encounter with the rocky shoreline.

When we become an appropriate light used in an appropriate manner, ‘Anonymous’ will be drawn to us.

To those who believe the universe is “cold, nasty and chaotic,” I say they have not been exposed to those with an attractive quotient of salt and light. Be well balanced. I believe Jesus chose His words carefully…we should take these metaphors seriously. Our task as Christ followers is to be evenhanded and reasonable to those around us…making the decision to give their life to Him alluring.

1 Comments:

Blogger Donna G said...

Good thoughts, I think I often am so afraid of being "too salty" to the point that I am just bland. Even we as Christians have had those bad experiences of excess! But it is just as bad to err on the side of nothing, which I fear I sometimes do.

5:51 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Site Counter