I had a "Giant Cavernous Aneurysm" behind my left eye. I went to Dallas for surgery and it was killed...however post op my eye is unresponsive. It is if I am looking out of a steamy shower door. Some days it is better than others. Please pray that my sight will be restored. God has been putting words on my heart that I feel I must put on paper. The following thoughts are those I feel that the Lord is speaking to me lately. Enjoy.

May 19, 2005

Hearing His Voice

I just left the land of Camcorderville. One of the greatest memories I have with my kids is school programs…a place where the kids are more interested in their parents than the program itself.

We just got back from Grace Best Elementary school in Monument, Colorado. My 6 year old, Gabe, was displaying his vocal talents and over-dramatic hand motions at a production entitled “Transportation.” It was all things trains, planes and automobiles. We’ve been practicing for weeks.

All of the parents had jockeyed for position to get the ideal seat for videotaping their little ones. I got there early so I could be on the front row; as to avoid videotaping bald spots and bouffant’s in front of me. As parents scurry for position there is a phenomenon similar to getting on an airplane where your goal is to claim the center armrest. I had my ‘armrest,’ but then the guy comes in late and squeezes in for the best seat in the house. Being the man of integrity that I am, I succumb…I digress.

As Gabe entered the gym in his little conductor hat, he immediately began scanning the audience. We began waving along with the other 1,000 people in the small, hot gymnasium. With each passing second his eyes got bigger and bigger trying to locate us. Our waves got more and more dramatic, but you could see the onset of a certain amount of fear and panic. He was thinking that maybe we didn’t make it.

The decibels in that small space were reaching high levels. We were all the way across the gym. However, I thought that maybe if I called him by name somehow he could hear me over the pandemonium. In a normal voice I called his name, “Gabe.” Immediately he located us. It was instantaneous. I was amazed. Through all of the confusion my son was able to discern my voice.

His countenance changed. His face lit up with a smile a mile wide, followed by an over-excited wave. All he needed was to hear his dad’s voice. In an instant, everything was alright. In no time, he was singing their remake of “The wheels on the bus go round and round.”

There have been times when this perfectly describes my life. I find myself on cruise control spiritually, and slowly I remove myself from quality time with my Father. How quickly things can spiral out of control. We start early and go late. It seems impossible to fit one more thing in to our schedule. I find myself for days at a time neglecting worship with God…one on one communion.

I wear my little conductor hat, and frantically walk through life missing my Dad. He tries to get my attention, but I am so distracted by the chaos and bedlam that competes for my attention that His attempts go unseen. The clutter of life and self-sufficiency prohibit me from seeing my Father.

And then it happens. In a gentle voice He calls me by name. Although I have never heard the audible voice of God, my spirit hears. Those are special times. With intention, I can find myself hand in hand with the Lord. As I find my way back, the feeling is such that I tell myself that it won’t happen again. And then I live the cycle again…and again.

Can you see yourself in your little conductor hat? Where are you in that crowded gymnasium? Are you aware that He is looking for you, but wondering where He is? Are you locked into His voice, and relaxed knowing that He delights in engaging in your life? Or, are you absolutely oblivious that you have a Father who is trying to get your attention? Do you even know that you have an Eternal Being who paces the porch of Heaven waiting for you to find Him? Where are you on the continuum?
Live to hear His voice. If your self-reliance has reached its limit, listen. His call is inviting and warm. He longs to spend time with you. Listen closely…that small voice is the mighty voice of God.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many things I would like to say as I sit here in a pool of tears. Words don't seem adequate. Thank you for your heart. Thank you for the encouragement to look for my Daddy. That is what I needed most today.

8:10 AM

 
Blogger Joel said...

Bart,

You didn't include this detail in your post but I am 100% positive that it occured.

When Gabe heard your voice - "HIS countenance changed. HIS face lit up with a smile a mile wide, followed by an over-excited wave."

I know that when Gabe heard your voice - YOUR countenance changed. YOUR face lit up with a smile a mile wide, followed by an over-excited wave too!

And Bart, know this: YOU have heard the voice of God. I am sure of it. God's face is lit up right now with a smile a mile wide. This very moment God is waving to you. You know, one of those over excited waves.

Love you brother.

10:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Site Counter