I had a "Giant Cavernous Aneurysm" behind my left eye. I went to Dallas for surgery and it was killed...however post op my eye is unresponsive. It is if I am looking out of a steamy shower door. Some days it is better than others. Please pray that my sight will be restored. God has been putting words on my heart that I feel I must put on paper. The following thoughts are those I feel that the Lord is speaking to me lately. Enjoy.

April 12, 2005

We Are Family, My Brother, Sister and Me

This was the mother of all white outs, and its April. EVERYTHING in Colorado was closed, including I-25 across the state. Suzi and I had gone to the store the night before to get prepared. We have enough stuff for a month.

The interesting thing about a blizzard is that the wind blows so fiercely that you may have grass showing in one part of your yard and an 8 foot drift in another. We had a 3 foot drift up against our garage with our cars trapped inside. What to do. I needed to go into the office today to finish some things before flying to Dallas, but I was stuck in my own garage.

Being a Texan, I had not yet gone to buy a snow shovel. So, my option was to use the boy’s sleds to dig some snow out to try and back out. After 30 minutes, Suzi and I had little luck. I had to do something drastic. I felt trapped. I had the family back away. I started the Sequoia and put it in reverse. I floored it and bashed through the wall of snow. My neighbors must have thought I’d lost my ever-loving mind…but it worked. I was out. I then proceeded to get stuck right there in my driveway. Great!

The same neighbors, who I thought five minutes earlier must be thinking I was an idiot, came over with snow shovels in hand. The whole family was out there helping me dig out. I apologized for not helping, but explained my need for not elevating my blood pressure because of the aneurysm. You could see their demeanor change…enter the Holy Spirit.

Soon, my SUV was freed from the bondage of snow and I was out of there. They weren’t. For the next couple of hours the entire family dug out my entire driveway by hand. Suzi called me and I was moved to tears thinking of their sacrifice of time and effort. They are Christians. The father works for Compassion International…appropriate name for their compassion showed.

When I first was diagnosed with this giant aneurysm, I had this feeling of “Why here, God, my support base is back in Texas.” I quickly came to find out God’s family extends beyond the borders of the Lone Star State. I can not believe the amount of help with meals, kids and prayer that we have received from the great folks of Colorado. God’s family is big. I see more than ever the benefits of being a part of such a family.

My encouragement for you is to tap into that family. Don’t wait until you become ill or hear of someone becoming ill to serve. Serve to serve. Love to love. Give to give. Your service and Christ-like behavior will come back around to you one day.

If you’re reading this and have no idea of what I’m talking about, because you are not a follower of Christ, I urge to get connected to the Lord’s family. This type of community is part of that “God-shaped” hole inside of us. The longing for authentic relationships is inherent within each of us.

I had a friend of mine, who is not sure there is a God, tell me once, “I wish everyone was a Christian…the world would be a better place.” What an incredible observation from someone who’s not sure who their Creator is.

1 Comments:

Blogger Donna G said...

It is truly great to be a part of God's Family.

Actually you don't know me. I hit your blog through someone who was concerned and inspired by you. I am a sister in Christ and I too have been inspired by your story. I have found it strange that my prayer journal will be filled with prayer request for people I only know through this medium. But I am convinced that the love of God transcends all obstacles of space and time.

I hope you don't mind the occasional comment.

5:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Site Counter