I had a "Giant Cavernous Aneurysm" behind my left eye. I went to Dallas for surgery and it was killed...however post op my eye is unresponsive. It is if I am looking out of a steamy shower door. Some days it is better than others. Please pray that my sight will be restored. God has been putting words on my heart that I feel I must put on paper. The following thoughts are those I feel that the Lord is speaking to me lately. Enjoy.

April 06, 2005

Can I Get a Light?

Elijah was the originator of the head to head competition. It was a dual…a modern day Coke or Pepsi taste test. Let the people decide which God/god is true. In the red corner stood Elijah alone as the last prophet of God. In the blue corner stood 450 prophets of baal and 400 prophets of the goddess asherah. (It was a little crowded in their corner.)

Elijah suggested each side build altars, sacrifice bulls and let the true God/god light the sacrifice.

They built their altars. Each side laid their bulls on the altar for sacrifice. The prophets of Baal began calling on him to set the bull ablaze. Time went by. Nothing…no fire. Yet another god of this world promising much, but delivering nothing. Thousands of years later, nothing has changed.

Elijah was talking trash. “Baal must be sleeping, going potty, traveling on business, or maybe just hard of hearing.” I love it…talking trash in the name of the Lord. I didn’t know this was allowed.

Then Elijah steps up and pours a truckload of water on his bull…just to put any doubt of the greatness of God to rest. He calls on God to light the sacrifice and fire falls from Heaven and consumes the drenched bull. Everyone falls face down and gets it…they finally get it.

This makes me think of my situation right now. I view each statistic of danger as another bucket of water. “One out of three ruptures end up in death.” Pour it on my sacrifice. “There is a significant risk of stroke with this procedure.” Bring it. “Only 2 neurosurgeons in the United States would attempt this type of procedure.” Pour away…oops, you missed a spot. “I’ve only seen 3 aneurysm’s this large in 15 years.” Douse it; fill the trenches I have dug around my altar.

My God is still able to bring the fire from Heaven and consume it all. How do you like your steak prepared? Steaks for everyone! Prime rib for you, sir…filet for you, maam.

My God is not baal. My God is Author of Life. He alone holds my statistics in His hand. For the God who flung the stars into the heavens, breathed life into man, painted the spots on each ladybug, an aneurysm ain’t nothing.

As buckets of water get poured on your altar, remember the faithfulness of God.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go ahead and add my tears to the buckets of doubts, fears, and scary statistics already poured on this altar...and may that God who humiliated the prophets of Baal on that day back in Biblical times rain down the fire of healing in a torrent not seen since that day centuries ago, about which you write.

Bring whatcha got, baby!

Our God's hosting THE BIG BARBEQUE!

1:21 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bart,
Your insights are truly incredible. I look forward to your thoughts and how I should apply them to my life. Thanks for your honesty.

Love,
John A.

11:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Site Counter