I had a "Giant Cavernous Aneurysm" behind my left eye. I went to Dallas for surgery and it was killed...however post op my eye is unresponsive. It is if I am looking out of a steamy shower door. Some days it is better than others. Please pray that my sight will be restored. God has been putting words on my heart that I feel I must put on paper. The following thoughts are those I feel that the Lord is speaking to me lately. Enjoy.

April 01, 2005

Just Like My Daddy

I could feel the little eyes watching me. I slowly glanced up to catch Gabe, my six year old peering around the corner. He was trying to be incognito, so I didn’t blow his cover. It must have been 15 minutes later when he came in the room with a radiant smile on his face. I noticed that he looked vaguely like me…sort of.

I was wearing black running shorts. He was wearing black running pants that were rolled up so many times it looked like the circulation was being cut off to his lower extremities. My shirt was yellow; his shirt was “yellowish” turned inside-out, in order to hide the Spongebob logo. He had pulled out tennis shoes that are not usually worn, in an effort to match mine. He had even worked on his hair to look like me as well, although he didn’t pull out 40% of his follicles, but I appreciated his effort.

I was moved. I was flattered. I was honored. He tried. He wasn’t perfect in his attempt to look like his dad, but it meant the world to me that he tried. He loves me.

I suppose I could have humiliated him and made him feel stupid. “Gabe, you look ridiculous. Don’t you know the difference in between shorts and pants? That shirt is not even close to the same color. If you can’t look exactly like me, you shouldn’t even try.” Talk about crushing a child’s spirit.

Instead, I got down on my knees and hugged him and smiled. We looked at the similarities in our appearances, and praised him for his creativity. I then gave him the o.k. to roll his pants down, saving him from impending amputation.

God looks down at us and smiles. He gets on His knees and hugs us and smiles…even giggles. I believe He delights in pointing out our similarities. He likes encouraging us in what we’re doing right. The Lord is not in the business of crushing His children’s spirits.
I believe the He delights in his children…even when we don’t get it completely right. He realized that we wouldn’t always get it right.

Enter Jesus…The Great Equalizer. This is the picture of grace…He loves us anyway. It’s God’s grace that takes care of the off-yellow shirt, or the differences in the length of our pants. What an amazing plan our Father has for us!

Today, I enter my closet with the intention of looking as much like my Father as I can. I will do my best today to clothe myself with Christ, knowing that His grace will take care of me when I don’t get it right.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bart,

Cara Lee sent me your website and I just finished reading all your posts. You write very well and found parts of it quite hilarious. I know this is a very serious situation and I was feeling guilty for laughing so much (i especially like the field day story). You probably don't remember me at ACU, but I was a friend of Jamie's. I married Troy Smith (one of the triplets from TN). We live in Nashville and also have 3 boys 6, 4, 2. I just wanted you to know that prayers are going up for you and your family in Tennessee. I am going to put you on the prayer list at our church (Church of the Redeemer) and at Otter Creek Church of Christ. Do you remember Brandon Scott Thomas? He is the music minister there.
I also wanted to say that I am so sorry about the death of your father. I know that is so difficult.
I just read this verse earlier today and wanted to share it with you Isaiah 40:29: "He giveth power to the faint and to them that have no power he increaseth strength"
I pray God's peace on you and your family.

5:44 PM

 
Blogger Craig said...

Bart, I will keep up with you through your blog. I look forward to reading it. We are praying for you. Check my blog when you have time. I am thankful God has you in His hands.

6:36 PM

 
Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Bart-
Fish called tonight and filled me in on your situation. I was glad he did. We'll be praying. It is cool to see Teenie commenting up there. Crazy how life intersects in different phases. It's been so long since we've even seen each other. I'm glad to know I can keep up with your progress this way. May God give you peace and healing.
Blessings to you, my friend.
BST

9:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Site Counter