I had a "Giant Cavernous Aneurysm" behind my left eye. I went to Dallas for surgery and it was killed...however post op my eye is unresponsive. It is if I am looking out of a steamy shower door. Some days it is better than others. Please pray that my sight will be restored. God has been putting words on my heart that I feel I must put on paper. The following thoughts are those I feel that the Lord is speaking to me lately. Enjoy.

April 19, 2005

The Unrecognizable Jesus

You would think you would recognize a man who drove seven demons out of you. One might think that the closest friends of Jesus would know Him if they saw Him. Even a “doubting Thomas” would at least identify the man he saw daily for the past three years. Two mourners walking sadly down a lonely road would certainly recognize the very Man they mourn. Why did no one recognize the risen Lord? Why don’t we?

In each of these accounts one thing remains constant. The people who were closest to Jesus went through a time of uncertainty as to who He was. In their darkest time, identifying the Risen Lord was impossible…and then it happened. The scales fell from their eyes. One by one, their eyes were opened and they began to recognize their Savior. They saw in the physical what they believed in the spiritual. They thought He was gone...their hopes and dreams were apparently wiped out. Everything they believed in was nailed to that cross just days before.

Are we any different? Why do we doubt the claims of Jesus? What is it about us that fails to recognize the presence of our Lord in our midst?

I remember the moment in time when I felt the scales fall from my eyes. It was a dark time in my life, my marriage and my walk with the Lord. I had slowly but surely taken control of my own life. I became the lead role. This was my life’s play. I was writing the scenes and it was horrible.

It was a dark and lonely place to be. It came as I cried out to the God of Life contemplating whether or not it was worth it to keep walking. I was hurting…He knew it. He heard me, probably would have heard me without yelling, but nevertheless He heard me. He met me there. My God showed up. There were no fireworks going off or visible angels in my passenger seat, just a peace that overtook me confirming His presence. The exchange was surreal. I immediately felt His presence as if He were sitting right next to me….as my “co-pilot,” so to speak. I hate that bumper sticker. Please let Him pilot your life.

When you go through a time like that in your life, the question is not whether or not He shows up. He’s there. The question during the crisis is whether or not you recognize Him. When we grieve, when we hurt, when we hit rock bottom, it’s easy to distort the image of Jesus. Our Comforter wants to walk with us down that road to Emmaus. Just as He did with the two men mourning, He is dying to know what is on our hearts. Literally…dying. Do we trust Him enough to let Him help us?

I don’t want to imply that the cataracts don’t come back. I get foggy vision; I wonder where He is from time to time. There are times when I do not feel as close to Him as I did on that day sitting in my car. But I know that he is the Great Physician, and He will perform lasik surgery if you ask. He offers a 20/20 guarantee or your money back.

Do you see Him? He’s there, right next to you. Switch seats, He’s a better driver.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bart,
Your words make my day. The honesty, truthfulness and vulnerability with which you write is truly encouraging. Just as easily as I say "right on" to your comments, I also would say "write on, my friend".

11:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Site Counter