I had a "Giant Cavernous Aneurysm" behind my left eye. I went to Dallas for surgery and it was killed...however post op my eye is unresponsive. It is if I am looking out of a steamy shower door. Some days it is better than others. Please pray that my sight will be restored. God has been putting words on my heart that I feel I must put on paper. The following thoughts are those I feel that the Lord is speaking to me lately. Enjoy.

April 18, 2005

God Drunk

Most days I’m inebriated. I’m drunk, not with spirits but with Spirit.

There is a difference in between sleepwalking through your life as a Christian, and being consumed with thoughts of the Father day in and day out. I now realize that there was a long period of time when, I too was a sleepwalker. I lived under the umbrella of the name of “Christian,” but looking back, I was doing very little to further the work of the kingdom.

I remember one particular day going to church and feeling like I was in a scene from “The night of the living dead.” Oh yes, everyone had their little pasted smiles on, and when asked, the answer was always “great,” but you would have to be one talented salesman to have any unbeliever buy your product. There is nothing sadder for me than to sit in a church service today, watching the masses look as if they would rather be rearranging their sock drawer, than worshipping at the foot of their risen Lord. They might as well be rearranging their sock drawers, because the Lord is not impressed with lukewarm praise and adoration. As a matter of fact, it makes the Lord want to vomit (literal translation) you out of His mouth. Strong words, maybe they are included in the Bible for a reason.

Sometimes I wish there was hidden camera following the same guy out of his pew at church and into his seats inside Texas Stadium when the Dallas Cowboys are getting ready to kick off. I can see him now with his foot long hotdog, nachos and a Diet Coke, full of excitement and anticipation about what the next two hours will bring. There is an electricity inside his gut that was non-existent in his worship just hours before.

Unfortunately, this brings him life. Two hours before he looked as though he had been beat in the head with a bat and drug into the doors of the Church, bringing God a blank stare and a cold heart. If only the Dallas Cowboys offered eternal life. Some believe they do.

Are you sleepwalking? If so, you are missing out on so much of what being a follower of Christ is all about. Accepting Christ as your Savior does not make you a follower of Christ. When one follows Christ, you passionately pursue him. He becomes the air you breathe. Without Him, makes you gasp for air like a fish out of water…starving for you next breath.

I love The David Crowder Band. They have a song that really moves me that says, “If I’m outta my mind, it’s You, ‘cause I’m crazy in love with You, inebriated by You, ‘cause I’m head over heels with You.” Can you sing this to God? Some days I can. Those are sweet days…I pray for them to come more often.

My prayer for the sleepwalkers; I pray that your eyes would be open to the world of following Christ, not just merely professing Christianity. I pray you wake up tomorrow gasping for air, waking to find Christ Himself performing CPR on your life…bringing with it, breath that is sweeter than honey and life-giving beyond your wildest dreams.

I encourage you to become inebriated with the love of Christ. Drink Him up. No one is going to pull you over and ask you to touch the tip of your nose or take a breath-a-lyzer test. The joy your life brings to yourself and others is all that is needed to prove your inebriation.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Amen, amen, amen. Keep it coming, Bart.

9:40 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Site Counter