I had a "Giant Cavernous Aneurysm" behind my left eye. I went to Dallas for surgery and it was killed...however post op my eye is unresponsive. It is if I am looking out of a steamy shower door. Some days it is better than others. Please pray that my sight will be restored. God has been putting words on my heart that I feel I must put on paper. The following thoughts are those I feel that the Lord is speaking to me lately. Enjoy.

October 03, 2005

Patch

The girl behind the counter would not stop staring at me. This was not the usual “you look like a pirate stare.” I’m very acquainted with that. This look was different.

She worked at the Crisis Pregnancy Center in Houston. I had gone there for a visit on behalf of Dr. Dobson. Soon her stare produced tears. About the time I saw them welling up in her eyes, I felt moved to inquire about them.

She proceeded to tell me about her father. “My father died a couple of years ago. He wore a patch over his eye…just like you.” Her pain became obvious…she missed her father. She continued, “You don’t see many people wearing patches anymore. When my two sisters and I remember dad, we first remember his patch.” And then came the bombshell. “I want to tell you something. Whether or not God chooses to heal your eye, you need to know the impact that your eye patch will have on your boys. They will forever remember the courage and strength that you faced…your patch will always be a physical reminder.”

The reality of that comment took about an hour to sink in, but when it did, I was very emotional.

Her statement became reality a couple of days later as we walked down the streets of Breckenridge, Colorado. Two boys, about 6 years old approached me. They both pointed and yelled loudly, “Look, a pirate!” Real original, kid. Without missing a beat, my oldest son, Gabe grabbed my hand, squeezed it tightly, looked up into my eyes and smiled. His smile was worth a thousand words. Nothing needed to be said. He was proud of his daddy…patch and all.

The lady from the CPC changed the way that I view this “thorn.” I thank God for the truth that she spoke into my life that day.

As followers of Christ, we face days where those around us ridicule our Dad…our Heavenly Father. I love being able to walk so close to Him that His hand is right there for me to hold. His face is close enough to mine for me to look into His eyes, and simply smile. Our smile tells Him that we believe in Him and His promises…despite what those around us think.

3 Comments:

Blogger Angie Andino said...

Way to go bro. You managed to make me blubber. By the way, I have been missing Dad lately too. Last week I went over to Liberty Christian School where CTCC is having a new service. They are averaging 300 adults and 100 kids in their timberland. It reminded me of you guys back at lil's. They have also hired a new guy to do what Jim used to do and from the back he looks just like dad. Baggy blue jean shorts, buzz haircut, and funny looking sandals and all. It was all just too overwhelming and I got so emotional I had to go home and cry myself to sleep.

11:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so proud of my Father in Heaven and yearn to hold His Hand in person and look up at Him like your son looked at you. Thank you for sharing your heart. God can make even patches into mementos for His Glory.

9:35 AM

 
Blogger Constance said...

I am forever amazed (and why should I be?) of our Father God's creativity! He uses the simple and the obvious to speak his grace, mercy and love right into the depths of our souls. Thanks for sharing one of those God moments with the rest of us who tend to lose sight of those things!
Connie Hopkins

7:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Site Counter