I had a "Giant Cavernous Aneurysm" behind my left eye. I went to Dallas for surgery and it was killed...however post op my eye is unresponsive. It is if I am looking out of a steamy shower door. Some days it is better than others. Please pray that my sight will be restored. God has been putting words on my heart that I feel I must put on paper. The following thoughts are those I feel that the Lord is speaking to me lately. Enjoy.

November 21, 2007

The Snow Globe


The splendor of living in a mountain town is the snowfall.

There is nothing more beautiful that the fresh flakes from Heaven slowly drifting quietly to the Earth. Unhurriedly, one by one, each individually crafted creation softly finds its’ way into the backdrop. The more they join together the more they change the surrounding scene. This is the tender side of snow.

The competing side of that beauty comes in the days that follow. Industry, pollution and cars quickly take their toll on the white landscape. Soon the white strips of covered roadways will heat up from the friction of passing cars, and will become watery and slushy. Puddles form making easy targets for cars to splash brown mud onto the roadways and sidewalks. What was the night before a scene of tranquility, solitude and peace has quickly turned into the hustle and bustle of industry and melting muck.

The blessing of the newness and the freshness of the virgin snow can quickly be tainted and soon forgotten.

Too often my life reflects this Creation amnesia.

Like a fresh snow, I am reminded of the grace that surrounds my life. I gaze into the eyes of my beautiful Godly wife and three precious boys and stand in awe of the One who trusted me with such incredible blessings. I look at my career and my church and my friends and find myself amazed with overwhelming gratefulness. I am surrounded with newness and a fresh awareness of my God’s love for me…that He saw fit to give someone so undeserving such an avalanche of blessings.

And, in the very next heartbeat, something happens. My world heats up and my snow begins to melt. Suddenly someone drives through a puddle, violently splashing mud into my otherwise protected snow globe. The beauty of the blessing disappears in an instant. I forget how richly blessed I was only moments before, although absolutely nothing changed. My wife is still beautiful and my boys are still amazing. My God has remained constant and close as ever.

It doesn’t take much mud to taint the beauty of a white fleck of snow.

My challenge is remain constant. I want to choose to feel blessed regardless of the weather. I want to choose to embrace the beauty in my life, without allowing events surrounding me to melt my snow. I want to learn to deflect the mud that is sure to splash my way. I long for the strength to withstand the pollution that can so quickly turn my snow to slush…because there is always something lurking, looking to invade my snow globe.

I believe that we serve a great Creator…a God of second chances. When things look still and feel stale, He grabs our snow globe and gently shakes it, stirring up a fresh glitter of snow to gently fall on us and remind us of His faithfulness.

My challenge to you is to stand firm, taking up your shield of faith. Protect with passion the world that God has intended for you.

Troubles will come. Hardships are on their way…be assured of that (see Job). But in the midst of trial, don’t allow your circumstances to muddy the truth of His blessing.

I just heard the forecast…the Weatherman is predicting snow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Web Counters
Site Counter